With the start of the sunny weather, the plants start flowering and bees are out in abundance. Often it is younger dogs that come into contact with bees because of their curiosity. The face or paws are most commonly stung.
With dogs being so hairy it is often difficult to identify the sting. If possible it can be scraped off the skin to avoid more poison being injected.
Symptoms often include irritation and swelling at the site of the sting. You may see your dog licking an area excessively and not wanting to use the leg. A more generalized effect on the body includes hives or welts, itchiness, feeling weak and lethargic, fainting, salivating and vomiting, pale gums and odd breathing.
These situations are often treated with cortisone and/or an antihistamine. Close monitoring in hospital is required in some situations.